Having trouble installing CHDK on memory card with STICK software?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BrianM27 New Member • Posts: 17
Having trouble installing CHDK on memory card with STICK software?

The main reason I own so many Powershots  is the being able to use CHDK to shoot raw,do motion detect Hummingbird and Lightning pictures and timelapse . CHDK can load as a firmware update OR autoload on startup with a specially prepared card with 2 partitions on older Powershots (pre 2011). A great program called STICK linked on the CHDK wiki page is used to prepare the card by creating partitions,making a partition bootable and then you set the card lock switch to on before putting in camera. This has worked great for years but now it seems newest Windows 10 updates have broken STICK's current version 1.12 .

I recently tried to great a new card for a G12 and STICK failed at the format step. As STICK uses JAVA runtime it won't work without JAVA installed. After trying WIN 10, 7 & XP they all failed! A PC running Ubuntu Linux failed at same place.

I pulled a tablet running Vista (Ughh) with Java 6  and it failed as well. But after searching archived files on the same machine I found STICK ver 1.10 and it worked perfectly .

If anyone is having trouble with new CHDK card creation try an old machine with older STICK iterations.

PLEASE remember to use STICKX elevated batch file and never leave an old machine that hasn't got security updates in years on the internet. I used the Vista tablet with internet access to create the cards with a Guest network connection that isolates it from the rest of the machines in the house. Shut down the tablet as soon as cards were finished.

Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow