Digitizing Negatives using a G9 (with video link)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
EtherialOne
OP EtherialOne Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: Digitizing films

Guy Parsons wrote:

EtherialOne wrote:

.....and if you're using your M43 to do the same I'd love to see / hear how you're doing it.....

Long time using this rig, Pens plus 60mm macro lens and 16MP gets all there is to get of most slides or negs.. High quality B&W film though could do with higher MP.

E-PL5 plus 60mm macro

I use touch screen AF on some contrasty part of the slide, RC controlled slave flash on TTL works fine. Needs a small lamp (not shown) to put some weak light on the slide for the AF to work. Lens set to f/5.6 seems OK.

Shown with film/slide carriers from an old film scanner. The big square closer to the lens holds a 1-2 push-pull slide holder from an old MF format projector, also carries a 35mm slide push-pull carrier before I added the current film holders.

Between the slide and the flash is a piece if 1/8 inch thick milk white acrylic sheet, sprayed black on the slide side apart from a slide sized "window" in the paint.

The flash has now been moved further back another 6 inches or so to better work TTL with thin slides. The FL-36R or FL-300R works fine for the job.

The thing evolved over the years and because I had a mill-drill machine I used that for a bit of practice milling a few parts to get what I wanted. It could be made from wood and cardboard and still work just as well.

So far have done most slides but need to get stuck into the colour negs, I probably will use Silkypix on the raw files as it now has a one click reversal that gets close to a result in the few I've done so far.

Previously had used an old Microtek 35mm film scanner, great quality but so slow plus now as a SCSI based scanner it has been left behind by Windows. Also tried Epson V700 scanner but again terribly slow and not quite good enough for 35mm film. OK for medium format and all those old strange sized B&W negs of my dad's from the 1920/30's.

Great Rig and very well thought out!

I might have to try SilkyPix as although I really like Capture One and have gotten used to it over the years as it doesn't have a negative inversion tool.

So I currently have to reverse the values on the RGB Levels at the start of editing to get a positive which messes with some the way some Exposure and HDR settings work... Exposure and Brightness sliders operate reversed and HDR Highlight / Shadow and White / Black functions are switched. All of them still work, but I feel the nuances of how well the software does HDR is impacted since although the HL / Shadow and Black / White are in basic function Opposite, they aren't quite handled the same way.

One thing I did notice reading the SilkyPix website is that on the V9 software has a supported camera note for the G9 stating "The WB setting value of the camera is not acquired" (they didn't have a list for the V10 ver)... guess I'll have to check the free trial and see since my G9 is my most used camera.

Also does the "Auto Erase" in the Spot Removal tool detect and remove spots automatically?  Capture One V20 has a good Spot Removal tool, but you have to click on each spot with a limit of 100, so for severely deteriorated negatives I've been using one or two Healing Layers and the Spot Removal tool only for spots where the heal layer would overlay incompatible image data which can be very labor intensive LOL.

EtherialOne's gear list:EtherialOne's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus TG-830 iHS Sony RX10 III Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow