Film Camera Prices

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NixonS Regular Member • Posts: 393
Film Camera Prices

Does anyone else think that the prices for film cameras currently is absolutely bonkers (especially P&S)? I'm going to go on a little rant, so don't mind me.

The Canon AE-1 goes for over $200 in decent condition (even poor cond. sometimes, depending on who's selling it, store/vendor/individual), that's a camera that I dug up from my garage a few months ago. $200!!! That's bloody insane! I love the feel of these cameras, and I love how these cameras operate mechanically (with a lever, aperture ring, dials for all settings), but is it worth $200? For that experience?

I see some people (not naming names) selling an AE-1 for over $600, which is simply taking the p. That's enough to buy an old FF camera, which spec-wise, is way better than a manual camera from 1976. I know that's how the market is, a lot more people nowadays are interested in buying film cameras, especially young people. And that drives the prices up, and so some of these vendors know they can charge $600 for a good, well-looked after AE-1 and someone will buy it. In my opinion, it shouldn't be more than $100. But I don't sell camera gear, so what would a schmuck like me understand.

I got a old (or relatively new?) Canon EOS 3000n recently, which functionally, as a film camera it has all the bells & whistles I'll ever need. Decent autofocus, decent ergonomics and a good selection of auto-exposure modes. And the best part, it's typically around 60 dollars, and a lot of these newer consumer SLRs (from Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc) are a similar price.

As someone who got into film photography recently myself, I point towards these consumer SLRs (90's, early 2000's SLRs) to other beginners because they are good quality cameras for the price. They just don't look as cool or prestigious as some of these older SLRs from the 70's/80's. But operations wise, it's just using a modern Canon rebel or other brands entry-level equivalent. And IMO, I would much rather spend $300 on a Canon EOS 1 or 1n than a Canon F1, but I'm also the type of person who hates feeling like they're getting ripped off, especially when I could have spent $50 at an old run down shop to get an old manual camera.

What do some of you guys think? Is the experience of using film something that you can't put a price to? Would you happily spend $1k or a few just to have an amazingly fun shooting experience? Happy to hear thoughts!

NixonS's gear list:NixonS's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
lft
lft
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow