105 MC ahead of others for portraits?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP DiscoDale Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: 105 MC ahead of others for portraits?

jjz2 wrote:

For most macro lenses I've tried, the contrast and detail is too high, which requires too much post processing on skin and hair. Also, they are slower, so less background blur, especially at half/full body shots.

Would the same apply to the 50mm MC?

I think the long end of a 70-200 2.8 would be better suited personally than most macros, and more versatile.. if just looking for more versatility.

One reason I use 105 F2 DC.

I used to use 85 prime, but that was when my main lens was a 35... I'm using 50 as my main lens now and wanted something a bit longer, so went with 105... 135 would probably work also, but harder indoors.

Most clients are more concerned about looking nice, not showing skin imperfections, rather than ultimate sharpness.

If using a macro for portrait, I'd definitely want studio lighting and heavier makeup.

All that being said... I am keeping an eye on this... as the 105 f2 DC for me really needs to be stopped down to 2.8 for good sharpness anyway... and Nikon is touting it as a portrait lens as well, though I'm not sure whether that's just to sell any.

DiscoDale's gear list:DiscoDale's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow