Digitizing Negatives using a G9 (with video link)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EtherialOne
EtherialOne Regular Member • Posts: 261
Digitizing Negatives using a G9 (with video link)

I've been pretty much using Pansonic micro 4/3rds cameras for the last several year and anyway in this last year I started getting into digitizing old family photo's, negatives and slides and after getting tired of using a flatbed scanner for negatives (Epson V550 and V600) decided to try to see if I could streamline the process and perhaps get better quality results using a digital camera.

Long story short I've changed to using my Pansonic G9 going forward and started with just the lenses I had finding that the consumer 12-60mm lens @ 60mm could focus on a negative at about 8" away resulting in an approx. 2700x1800 pixel image.

Fast forward just a bit and after playing with different gear and getting a Panasonic 30mm f2.8 Macro lens I'm now getting approx 4500x3000 pixel images and going forward unless the negative has a lot of dust / scratches the G9 w/ 30mm is now my "GoTo".

Anyway I decided to do a video to demonstrate different options for Digitizing Negatives (not photocentric, more for anyone looking at options) and used the G9 with a rig to streamline the process.

Below is a link to the video if anyone's interested, and if you're using your M43 to do the same I'd love to see / hear how you're doing it, how it works as well as get feedback on improving the process. (There's an index for the Video in the description as it's long to get to the pertinent parts if you choose to watch it)

https://youtu.be/yy56XofNZb4

EtherialOne's gear list:EtherialOne's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus TG-830 iHS Sony RX10 III Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 +23 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow