Exposure Compensation Locked

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
This thread is locked.
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563
Re: Exposure Compensation

bobn2 wrote:

<snipped>

Is it not significant that almost all the people who use the triangle as a teaching aid are failing to present it properly, according to you? Or put it another way, the people who might present it properly seem not to choose to use the triangle. There's several trigonometric formulae, but these don't fit either.

The triangle was never intended to be a mathematical construct or model and neither was it called the "Exposure Triangle".  The Photographic Triangle (Peterson) was simply a construct to show the triumvirate of Shutter, Aperture and ISO (and more so ISO in film days).

Trying to build a trigonometric model was never its intention.  Explaining that moving one up a stop can be compensated by moving another one down a stop and leaving the third constant is about as much as was ever intended.  It is useful for beginners who are trying to progress past AUTO.  Once the concept is understood then an immediate follow on is the understanding of the difference between Exposure and Brightness.

We need an educationalist and not technically competent photographers to decide how best to present that trio of parameters (for a given scene luminance I suppose I have to add).  I personally don't see a problem with "baby steps" ie "I've put the shutter speed up 3 stops and upped the ISO 3 stops and now am seeing noise, why is that" and then the beginner is ready to get the next step.  Some users I'm sure can get it in one.  Clearly from some posts on here some users need a more gradual approach.  Clearly from some posts on here some posters just want to show how clever they are regardless of their target audience and I suggest they study Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity instead of blindly and falsely applying Newton's Laws of Motion.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow