the double shutter speed rule ruins your video

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,001
Re: the double shutter speed rule ruins your video

Svetlov Misha wrote:

CanonUserG40 wrote:

Why are you still refusing to accept that CMOS sensors output line by line? The process of digital image capture has been explained to you ad nauseum but you still seem to think you know better with your crackpot "experiment"..

i see what i see: i push flash button with ultra short impulse and i see the frame totally illuminated. those impulse duration 1/10000 is much shorter sensor readout but still - all the lines illuminated, not the half, not the quater, but every single of 1080 lines recorded.. so, what about lines? why?

You are confusing the readout with the exposure.  When the flash fires, it dumps photons onto the entire sensor all at once, storing charges in all of the photosites.   But it takes time after that for the camera to read out the charge values.

If you're using a high shutter speed, then some of the rows are going to be cleared after the flash fires and when those rows are read out then you won't see the flash in them.   But if you're using a slow enough shutter speed then the charges may be held long enough that they can all be read out after the flash has fired.  It depends on the timing between exactly when the flash fires and where the camera happens to be at clearing out some sensor rows while reading other ones.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow