Xrite Color Profiles ?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,777
Re: Xrite Color Profiles ?

Erik Kaffehr wrote:

D Cox wrote:

If Tungsten (or any other black body) lamps are no longer obtainable, is there any point in making a Tungsten profile ?

Don Cox

Hi,

My take is that you need two sets of color conversion matrices, so Lightroom has two points to interpolate between.

The color conversion matrices vary with correlated color temperature. With a set of two points, Lightroom/ACR can use the estimated WB to interpolate between the two set of data.

Note that the 'color matrix' is different between D50 and Illuminant A. Having two starting points, LR/ACR can estimate the correct 'color matrix' based on the 'WB' of the image.

Best regards

Erik

Also, from my perspective regarding the fact that most indoor lighting will no longer be tungsten:

Since most indoor lighting is at least attempting to APPROXIMATE tungsten as a "goal", you're more likely to get an "acceptable" profile when you profile against a real tungsten lamp and then shoot in not-quite-tungsten, than if you profile not-quite-tungsten and shoot in not-quite-tungsten-in-a-very-different-way.

Neither is ideal, but having actual-tungsten as the reference for indoors is more likely to be an acceptable match over a wider range of actual lighting conditions since you're profiling against the "goal" spectrum of most indoor lighting.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow