Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,777
Re: Xrite Color Profiles ?

Lbs26 wrote:

ggbutcher wrote:

Lbs26 wrote:

D Cox wrote:

Lbs26 wrote:

What about astro photography,do i need calibration profile for example for full moon shots ?

As the Moon is a neutral dark grey, there's no need for a colour profile. You can just use a white balance dropper, or convert the image to monochrome.

In the case of stars, I doubt if very accurate colour is needed.

Don Cox

One more thing...i noticed with my Xrite daylight profile...the reds all always almost magenta red,am i doing something wrong?The rest of the colors are very very accurat,but only the red colors in particular in most of the photos tends to go into magenta.

Magenta is made in your head by a mix of low and high light wavelengths, or red and blue if you want to use their colloquial names. Your X-Rite profiles use a 3x3 matrix of numbers to represent the spectral response of your camera, not a lot of information to represent a rather complex thing. The red, green, and blue patches of your ColorChecker target should be properly represented by the profile; take a raw picture of your target, develop it to a sRGB JPEG with your X-Rite profile, and compare that image's red patch on your monitor with the ColorChecker's red patch - if your monitor is close to sRGB, or if you're using a calibrated display profile (preferred), the reds should look close in hue.

Ignoring display problems, I think your most likely culprit is the exposure of the target shot. If you've over-exposed any of the patches, that information in the target shot is invalid for making a decent profile. If your raw histogram of the target shot is piled up at the right-hand side, you've overexposed something. When making target shots, I would rather underexpose it than saturate the sensor...

I see...i will try again and making sure not clip any of the patches,thanks !

This is one of the cases where using dcamprof/lumariver is beneficial - they give you a lot more metrics that will hint at whether or not you made an exposure mistake, whether due to clipping a channel or due to capturing with lighting that led to glare.  X-Rite's software pretty much doesn't give you any metrics at all to give you any idea whether the profile might have a problem or not.

One benefit of the RawTherapee-based "reference image to dcamprof" workflow is that you can check the raw histogram to see if there's a problem at that stage.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow