Where to Live as a Nature Photographer?

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,458
Re: Where to Live as a Nature Photographer?

hschnee wrote:

I'm considering relocating, and wondering where would be a great home for a nature photographer. I'm envious of people who have great scenery and wildlife practically in their backyard! My job requires me to be in the Unites States, and I need high-speed internet (cable or fiber). So I'm somewhat limited in how far from "civilization" I can be, but I'm otherwise open to ideas and suggestions.

Do you live in a place you love that is great for nature photography? Or have you visited a place that you dream of living as a nature photographer? Share your favorites and dreams!

- Hal -

I have lived in the mountains on the rim of a canyon,  on the sand at the beach and  in the desert of the American Southwest  - not to mention the suburbs of Orange County , California.

Anywhere you move to the work will become repetitive over time and then you’ll want to be somewhere else. In  Flagstaff,  first time I woke up to deer in my forest  it was ooh aah  -six moths later it was deer, yeah.

You are romanticizing scenery and wildlife without factoring in the realities of  living in a given location. Whether it is digging out your driveway from under five feet of snow for three months a year or 110° heat for three months a year or having to drive for an hour to get to Costco …or a gym…living is more than  a photo op.

I agree that California is becoming  a waste dump  but previously the advantage of living in Orange County  was  always the ability to get to the mountains,  deserts and  beaches  in under two hours. Shoot in the snow  in the morning  and ocean sunsets in the afternoon on the same day …-though not  anymore , the traffic is impenetrable .

-- hide signature --

dw

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow