AF tracking for dog?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kaitlyn Contributing Member • Posts: 528
AF tracking for dog?

Quick background: Canon 5D IV for years, commercial work - very comfortable using my camera and focusing, adjusting focus points, etc. etc etc.

Looking into selecting a new camera, I am mostly interested in AF capabilities for photographing my dog (yes, for Instagram account :p)

I borrowed a friend's A6400 which had animal AF and seemed to focus on their dog's eyes quite well, but the whole camera wasn't really set up "to my liking" nor did I want to make any adjustments... but it worked!

It seems the A6000-series cameras have the best animal AF, but I was wondering if other cameras compete at all? I *think* fuji doesn't have any kind of animal AF, so if I am i.e. taking a portrait of my dog outside, what would the smart focusing system end up doing?

I'm looking to do 99% outdoors/adventure photos, so not set up in a studio or sitting in one place for an extended period of time for a single shot... so I am extremely eager to utilize the auto-AF system that would help focus on the dog wherever in the frame they may be, vs having to constantly move a focus point around on a joystick and even then possibly focus on the front of their nose instead or something.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow