First Timer

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JeffryZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,473
First Timer

Been shooting Nikon for ages and finally decided to try mirrorless.  Biggest reason? Size and weight.  Think it would be nice to not have to carry as much weight around as with my D500 and fast lenses. I invested in a XT4 and three lenses for now- 8-16mm f/2.8, 16-55mm f/2.8 and a 16mm f/1.4.  I recently inherited some money or would not have spent so much money.  Had my first outing with it just yesterday after a little playing around the house to familiarize myself with some of the features and controls. On lenses, I do sometimes turn the f/ stop ring by accident and there is a button on the front of the camera I sometimes hit by accident and have to clear the menu which pops up- a little annoying when that happens. Missed focus a couple of times (probably didn't press the shutter release button far enough).  Reviews sometimes said the lenses I bought were "large"- maybe compared to the other Fuji lenses but not compared to what I usually carry.  Shooting in Raw and editing in Photoshop.  Did have to download some codec to see images in Windows but not a problem now. Also noticed that lens correction is automatic when an image is opened in Photoshop.

Took all the lenses with me to the local glider port- situated atop a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean in San Diego (nice and consistent onshore breezes the gliders love).  Overall, happy with the results.  I still have a lot to learn about the camera and what settings will be the best (was using spot focus which was not always the best thing).  Very much like the camera and lenses so far.  Examples:

This was shot with the 8-16mm at 8mm with a little cropping. Lens flare was incredible minimal and I got a nice sun star.

-- hide signature --

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffryz/galleries

JeffryZ's gear list:JeffryZ's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +2 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow