Considering Sony A7RII. How fast to manual focus?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CSMR Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Considering Sony A7RII. How fast to manual focus?

I have a Canon 6D with a 50mm f/1.4 (fragile but I love it), 20mm f/2.8 (mediocre), and 85mm f/1.8 (great but not a focal length I use often). I always use MF with an MF viewing screen. I find MF relatively precise (similar to AF), and an immediate experience because one can see things come into focus on screen and take a quick shot regardless of the focal point location.

I'm thinking about getting a Sony A7R II for IBIS (and also higher resolution for crops and occasional video). I should be able to get a Loxia 50mm f/2 at a reasonable price; does anything with good MF exist for 24mm or 25mm? (Budget at most £350 used, and must have electronic contacts to convey lens info to the camera.)

For a quick shot where I have 2s to focus on a non-centered shot, it's doable on Canon. Is it doable on A7RII - I assume using focus peaking?

Then for shots where there is time to use focus magnification, how long to focus in total (inc selecting the part to zoom into)? I'm concerned about the time to select the focus area, and also the fact that when zoomed in I'm not simultaneously thinking about composition.

Getting jitters before making a purchase. Thanks for any advice!

Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow