Dragonflies

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
manual_focus Senior Member • Posts: 1,393
Dragonflies

I continue comparing the DA*300 to the DFA 100 Macro. This time it is with dragonflies. I started with using my tried and true K5iis but gave it up due to its inability to find the focus point. Too much hunting and to make it work I had to hand focus first to get it started. Switched to the K3-iii and what an improvement! Might have to finally retire my K5.

Both lenses are sharp enough. The main differences is the reach (300mm) vs depth of field (100mm). Luckily, dragonflies will let you approach them closer than butterflies. This allows for better use with the 100mm Macro. To use the DA*300 you need bright conditions so you can stop it down and still have a fast enough shutter speed. Side profiles do not require much DOF and are easier to get all of the fly in focus.

The first two images are of an Eastern Pondhawk which has lost half of it's back-right wing. It had it the day before so it must have been a bad day today.

Enjoy

Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis) Male. Taken with DA*300.

Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis) Male. Taken with DFA 100mm Macro

Great Blue Skimmer (Libellula vibrans) Male. Notice the whitish face? Taken with DA*300

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow