Street/ Documentary Lens line up

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nebeldiener
Nebeldiener Regular Member • Posts: 163
Street/ Documentary Lens line up

I'm still in the process of building a lens line up within Fuji X (switched from M43).

I started out doing landscape, but my interest over the years moved more and more towards street and documentary.

Right now, I own 3 categories of kits:

X-H1 + 16-55/f2.8: For when I can't change lenses or I don't know what to bring.

35/f1.4: Mainly for portrait, but also use it for street. The only thing I don't like is the color fringing, which can be pretty bad at times.

X-Pro2 + 23/f2 + 50/f2: My main street/ documentary set up. 23/f2 for wide shoots, 50/f2 for compressed shots, portraits or faux macro type of shots.

The 23/f2 + 50/f2 combo works out pretty nicely, but sometimes I wish I had something a little wider (especially for indoor shoots). My options are:

16/f2.8: I already have a 16/f2.8 within the 16-55 but it's big and heavy. Does it make sense to pair it with the 23mm and 50mm? Should I switch the 35mm to the f2 version? Then I would have two complementary lens-sets: 16/f2.8 + 35/f2 and 23/f2 + 50/f2.

18/f2: The AF motor on the 35/f1.4 doesn't bother me. So I don't think that that would change with the 18mm. It's small and compact and would be a good match to the 35/f1.4, but I lose 2mm compared to the 16/f2.8.

14/f2.8: Haven't really looked into this lens yet.

Manual focus ultra-wide: Thinking about lenses like the Samyang 12/t2.2, 10mm/t3.1, Laowa 9/t2.9, 7artisans 12/f2.8

What would you recommend? What do you own? What is your favorite 2 - 4 lens setup for street/ documentary work?

Nebeldiener's gear list:Nebeldiener's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow