body or glass? (A1 or A9)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pawelmod Regular Member • Posts: 103
body or glass? (A1 or A9)

Hello,

It is quite common question but I will try to be very specific.

Currently I'm using A73 + 24105 F4 and 70-200F4 for shooting amateur tennis and football. I'm quite happy with the results but A73 has its limits and sometimes (not very often) I'm missing the range. After checking all different option in mirrorless systems I believe that I would like to upgrade to one of the bellow options:

(1) A9 + 100-400GM (keeping the A73 as it is always a good idea to have backup- or b-camera

(2) A1 (selling A73 and not buying any new glass)

My rationale is that both cameras will give me the enough fps + no issues with rolling shutter. Additionally 100-400 from option1 is giving me more reach, or alternatively A1 from option2 could give me the more cropping possibilities.

What would be your advise and why?
Thx!

TL;DR
Personally I would love to have A1 because of its capabilities, but I have the feelings that some specs. are an overkill for me (e.g. 30fps sounds too many, but at the same time 4k 120fps for sport video would be amazing). On the other hand I would love to have a better glass. Unfortunately in 2021 I cannot afford A1 and new GM glass. Perhaps the glass I already have is good enough for A1?

Best regards,
Pawel

pawelmod's gear list:pawelmod's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +3 more
Sony a1 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow