?: 50D Autofocus Area question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
greyhoundrick
greyhoundrick Regular Member • Posts: 409
?: 50D Autofocus Area question

Hello!

Longtime Nikon and Sony shooter here. Just picked up a Canon 50D for the fun of it and am enjoying shooting something Ive never shot before (if that sounds weird its because I probably am!).

Because I know nothing about the Canon focusing system on the older DSLRs I wanted to make sure Im understanding the AF Area correctly...

From what I can determine, on the 50D it appears that you can move the focus point manually amongst 9 available focus points and once you select that point it stays selected until you manually move it to another point.

In AutoSelect Mode it looks all the points come into play and the camera will select the one that it believes is the best for focus.

Is this how it works? So, if I am correct, then when shooting a fast moving subject for maximum control I would use the manual selection and basically be shooting single point or I can choose Auto and let the camera pick it out.

Those would be the only autofocus area modes the camera has correct?

Thanks for helping me understand as Im having a lot of fun with this 13 year old DSLR!

best to you,

Rick

Canon EOS 50D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow