What causes this?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colorado Snowman
Colorado Snowman Regular Member • Posts: 403
What causes this?

Is this blue/purple fringing? I haven't noticed it much before with this lens (FE 100-400mm) and camera (A1) combo. The raw file was underexposed by about one stop because I didn't initially account for the sky. Is there something that I should have done differently to avoid this?  Or is it just an artifact of the light sky meeting the dark shingles and feathers? Thanks in advance, Dean

Most of my other photos of this owl did not exhibit this artifact.

New in 2021 - deansnow (smugmug.com)

The funny story about this photo is that I had just walked out of my garage and spotted a slimy, stinking dead mole in my driveway.  Almost like something had vomited it up.  While wondering how it got there I realized that I was standing under the eave of my garage roof.  When I looked directly up, this guy was staring down at me.  He hung around long enough for me to get my camera and take a  few photos.  Then he flew to a nearby tree where I snapped a few more.

Colorado Snowman's gear list:Colorado Snowman's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow