Why does the "Active D-lightning"-settings affect the RAW-file?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
powerbook Regular Member • Posts: 428
Why does the "Active D-lightning"-settings affect the RAW-file?

I thought a RAW file out of the camera is always without any camera presets like Active D-lighting? What am I missing?

In situations where I want to use JPEGs directly out of the Nikon Z6II or Nikon Z50, I often use Active D-lighting (ADL) in the camera. It seems overall okay.

When I choose to save in RAW or RAW + JPEG in the camera, I am very surprised that the settings in the ADL affect the settings of the RAW file in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).

When I open a RAW file in ACR, White Balance changes to Temperature and Tient. Exposure, Contrast, Highlight, Shadows have also been changed. I need to turn off the ADL if I want to start working in the RAW file without presets.

I have always had the understanding that a RAW file is without presets.

Why are these presets from ADL settings included in the RAW file? What am I missing?

Many thanks in advance.

powerbook's gear list:powerbook's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow