I don't understand THIS about bitrate (lossless, greenscreen)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Niber Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: I don't understand THIS about bitrate (lossless, greenscreen)

Andrew S10 wrote:

You might as well practice and experiment with green screen using the camera you already have. Lighting your green screen evenly, and at a proper ratio to your subject, is far more important than using a camera with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, although a 4:4:4 camera would be ideal.

You can try down sampling your A7C's 3840x2160 8bit 4:2:0 footage into interpolated 1920x1080 10bit 4:4:4 footage. Here a post that explains the process.

I'm not sure whether or not that will result in a cleaner key than herrMartin's method.

People used to do green screen with interlaced 720x480 8bit 4:1:1 footage, because that was the best technology short of film, although it had blocky/fuzzy edges and sometimes needed some help from rotoscoping.

Back in 2009, I talked with a RED ONE owner DP, who said he got perfectly keyed hair from Panasonic HVX-200 footage on a previous project; a 10 bit 4:2:2 camera with a 540x960 sensor (it used a spatial offset deployed in both the horizontal and vertical direction, making the effective resolution of the chip set to be 1440x810 pixels).

Cameras and keying software have improved dramatically over the last 20 years, so you might be surprised at just how good your camera's 8bit 4:2:0 footage can look when you use the proper technique.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I get too tempted to get started with some green screen after all. For now I have so many projects on my wishlist though I think I'll start with the ones that doesn't require it, then 2-3 years later when I get around to my greenscreen projects who knows maybe I'll have 4:4:4 camera by 2024 technology.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow