When do use tripods?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,518
Re: When do use tripods?

Bender79ita wrote:

There are several things that are possible (or much, much, much better) done with a tripod:

• panorama (keep that pupil on the pivot point)
  • long exposure (duh!)
  • all kind of normal shooting improve, no "rule" will always keep you 100% "safe"
  • hdr
  • interval shooting (many applications there, from removing people to making time lapse clips to multi frame NR)
  • a stable platform to change lenses and screw filter
  • video without jitters

If used properly, a tripod will improve your image quality dramatically.

I manage to do most of these successfully without a tripod. When I travel, I fit my camera and three zooms into a nice compact shoulder bag, and the thought of also lugging a big heavy tripod, including somehow trying to fit it into my packed luggage as I jet around the world, doesn't appeal at all. Several decades ago, when ISO 800 was considered pretty extreme, I might have been persuaded to do so, but my latest cameras have given me quite acceptable results with ISO up to 25,600. As I stated earlier in this thread, I have no interest in silky water or star trails, and usually only take a tripod abroad when I'm likely to encounter auroras.

This was taken at ISO 25,600. It was so dark, we couldn't actually see anything until we looked at the camera's image. Yes, there's a fair amount of noise, but who cares?

Ethiopian monastery

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow