Identifying this deviant Helios 44m-7

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ayylmao New Member • Posts: 6
Identifying this deviant Helios 44m-7

So I took the plunge and got myself a helios 44m-7 that looked unmolested and authentic enough from the ebay seller's pictures. It has a wide "o" in the Helios font/lettering, appropriate production date of after 1993, and I believe the correct body type.

On receiving the item, the first thing I did was weigh it using a scale. It came out to be around 230 grams, which is odd as Zenit's official page lists the 44m-7 as weighing 270 grams.

According to some other comments I've seen, the 44m-7 shouldn't display a prominent swirl but I believe it is present in my photos.

I found one other article describing a 44m-7 with similar characteristics. Mine looks just like his.

Helios 44M-7 58mm 1:2.0 tests and review - Lens QA Works

swirl example

I'm not convinced what I have on hand is a 44m-7 due to its unusual weight and swirly characteristics. If the lens weighed more than 270g I'd think it was someone using a fake nameplate on a 44m-6 or 44m-5, but since it weighs less than both of those lenses, I'm at a loss as to what this thing is. The 44 and 44-2 have the same weight yet have a different body type, which makes it hard to believe that someone would go out of their way to transplant the glass into a new body.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow