Kenko Teleplus HD Pro DGX 1.4x teleconverter compatibility with the FTZ adapter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wjan
wjan Forum Member • Posts: 50
Kenko Teleplus HD Pro DGX 1.4x teleconverter compatibility with the FTZ adapter

Hi everyone! I want to document my experience with the Kenko Teleplus HD pro 1.4x DGX teleconverter on the FTZ Adapter. There is very little information on the internet about their compatibility, merely a few anecdotal experiences on forums. Kenko's own website provides only compatibility information for some F-mount cameras, but not for Z-cameras. I wrote them a letter asking about FTZ support, but they didn't answer yet. If they will, I will update the thread.

Okay, first, for clarification, there are at least four versions of autofocus teleconverters from Kenko (from oldest to newest):

Kenko Teleplus 1.5x (MC and SHQ versions, 4 lens elements)
Kenko Teleplus DGX PRO300 1.4x (KE062261)
Kenko Teleplus HD DGX 1.4x (5 lens elements in 3 groups; KE062524)
Kenko Teleplus HD Pro DGX 1.4x (5 lens elements in 4 groups; KE062528)

In this thread, I am talking about the last one model. It was announced in 2019, so I was hoping it will work with an FTZ adapter, which was itself for over one year on the market at the time.

Unfortunately, it is not the case

I have two Z-kameras (Z6ii and Z50, both with latest firmware) and four F-lenses (Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6, Nikon DX 85mm f/3.5, Nikon AF-P DX 70-300 VR and Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2) and none combination of them is working: autofocus and aperture control not functioning, and the lens information is not transferred. Curiously, VR seems to work and focus-via-wire is functional too.

Out of curiosity, I also tried this teleconverter on Nikon J5 and J1 with the same four lenses on an FT1 adapter - and again nothing worked. Except of Nikon 200-500mm lens at 200mm where it did focus sometimes! But the lens itself was making a strange, loud noise, like nothing I heard before. I might document it in the Nikon 1 forum section later.

wjan's gear list:wjan's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow