G9 + UHS II microSD cards - any caveats?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pannumon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,522
G9 + UHS II microSD cards - any caveats?

Panasonic Lumix G9 has two SD slots that operate at the same speed. If I have understood correctly, this means that the bus is shared between the slots, and both slots can operate approximately half of the normal bus speed. What I remember is that this means UHS I card write speed is below 40MB/s, and maximum UHS II write speeds are around 100MB/s. This means that UHS II cards are very much preferred on G9 (slow UHS II cards operate faster than fast UHS I cards).

The main issue with UHS II cards is the price. That said, UHS II microSD cards seem to be quite a bit cheaper. The problem with these cards is that at least some of them have much lower write speeds compared to normal UHS II SD cards. For example SanDisk microSDXC 64GB Extreme Pro 275MB/s UHS-II U3 Class 10 card has specified read speed of 275MB/s and write speed of only about 100MB/s. In contrast SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC 32GB 300MB/s UHS-II has read speed of 300MB/s and write speed of 260MB/s.

However, as G9 max write speed is anyway around 100MB/s, UHS II microUSB might be a good budget option. Obviously an UHS II adapter needs to be used, but they seem to be cheap.

Is it reasonable to assume let's say over 80MB/S write speeds with the mentioned microSD card, or similar card? Are there any other caveats of using UHS II microSD cards on G9 (or other cameras)? Thank you in advance.

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +21 more
ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow