Nearing the End of the Trip In Iceland - Bad Weather Shots from 1 August

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041
Nearing the End of the Trip In Iceland - Bad Weather Shots from 1 August

Our last day on the Ring Road. We have driven 5000 kilometers in 26 days. Yesterday we drove along through Southern Iceland in the driving rain and I shot one famous waterfalls (Selajalandsfoss) from way back with the 100-200 at 200mm. Then we got on the new Ferry at the new port that takes an hour (it used to take 5) to get to the Westman Island of Heimaey. On the crossing on the huge ferry the Atlantic was as smooth as a town lake and the locals said we would see whales. I was upon the bow of the boat and all of a sudden about 9 whales popped up and started putting on a show in the smooth water. Locals told me that the sea there is normally extremely rough with hig waves and hard crossings. My camera gear was in the car which was a mistake. I should have had the 250 on a tripod on that deck.

Awe also saw literally thousands of Puffins at sea and skimming along the smooth water fishing. It was amazing. Then on the way into the harbor at Heimaey, we passed hundreds of meters of high bird cliffs litearlly 509 meters off the cliffs. We say hundreds of Puffins and all kinds of migrating nesting sea birds on those cliffs and the birders were going nuts.

We got to the island and it was fogged in and raining hard. But we drove the scenic loop and there were a few moments where it cleared enough to shoot these shots on the island. It was dark but the shots are passable (maybe).

Our Ferry leaving the harbor. Sot it from far away at 200.  Pretty sharp for no tripod and the wind blowing me around.  Monopod.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow