What Are Your Voting Criteria?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Bill Thoo Contributing Member • Posts: 532
Re: What Are Your Voting Criteria?

hampshirejohn wrote:

I can't add much to the discussion on voting methods, other than to note I agree with the concensus of replies so far. But it prompts 2 supplementary questions.

First, do you find your votes spread reasonably widely across the whole range, or do you end up clustered in the middle with only the occasional 0.5/1 and 4.5/5? Do you award similar numbers of 2s, 3s, 4s or do 2.5/3s predominate?

Second, and partly related to this, do you vote in an absolute or relative sense? in other words, if you feel a challenge has an above average standard of entries, do you find you have awarded more marks towards the top end? And conversely if you think the overall standard is lower, that you have awarded more lower marks.

I'm glad you asked this.  I started off trying to comment about this, then got distracted.

Like others I start at with an assumption the entry scores a 2.5 (or 3 in my case) then add or subtract stars according to the aesthetic or technical merit, or lack of.

I don't aim to score a spread from 1-5 stars for each challenge I vote in.  I will only score a 1 or 5 if the image merits that, rather than for the sake of having a 1-5 spread.  In other words I don't change my criteria for scoring relative to the challenge.  If a challenge is full of amazing images it will therefore score high stars on average, or if full of terrible images it will score low stars on average.  Does that make sense?

Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow