future of intel/windows platoform

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
foot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,368
future of intel/windows platoform

This post isn't to start a win vs mac vs linux discussion.

It's to remind everyone that healthy platforms evolve. This is true of the current CPU processor generations, and that this is great for us, the consumers. Higher performance, lower power, less expensive options

Currently Apple has done an amazing job with their new M1x systems. So has AMD. (Heck even qualcom has joined in with their new snapdragon processor system although I'm not sure where they are going with it...it is supported by Linux now!)

This is great for intel users, since Intel is busily building their new processors, which should apply competitive pressure back to Apple.

This is a constant "cat and mouse" game, each doing their competitive best to deliver better and better computer choices for us, the consumers.

True, for me personally, I'm moving toward Linux. But even there I expect to use my current win10 laptop for many years -maybe 5++years- before I need a new one.

(for Linux I've already been using the raspberry pi for some DIY network programs, and I'm refubing an older laptop to run Linux)

Heck, I had to buy my current laptop ASAP due to my older one crashing, at the start of covy. I couldn't even shop in retail stores since they were closed to foot traffic. Yet even as a desperation buy I got an increadable deal...AMD ryzen 7 4800H, with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GPU. 16 gig of RAM (that I can upgrade when I want), Great price too.

It's so over spec that I run it at 50% cpu, and use the builtin AMD gpu and not the nvidia. (if you do alot of video/photo editing, you might choose to "crank it up" for extra performance)

People should not jump ship and switch computer platofrms anymore than they should jump ship every other month, due to some percieved technical advantage of Nikon vs Canon vs Sony vs Pentax vs m43...they are all very good

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow