GFX 100s IS modes (esp on a monopod?)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
darinb Contributing Member • Posts: 813
GFX 100s IS modes (esp on a monopod?)

The GFX 100s is the first camera body where I've had IS and so maybe this is a newbie question--but I don't think I understand how the different modes operate.

I *thought* that the difference between Continuous IS and "When Shooting" was as it sounds--the one starts only when you press the shutter button halfway down (a power-saving measure?). But I accidentally left IS on when on a tripod the other day and noticed that "Continuous" offered much better stabilization than "When Shooting"--it didn't look bad at all when magnified on the rear LCD (also to my surprise). "When Shooting" was a mess.

Today I played around with the IS modes on a monopod, shooting at 1.4 seconds with a 32-64. "Continuous" was not good, although one image out of the ten repeated shots wasn't bad. "Off" was not good. "When Shooting" was sharp on all ten of the images.

Before I go off and spend a lot of time playing with this to sort things out, has anyone already sorted out what works and what doesn't--and why one mode works when the other doesn't?

-- hide signature --

Darin

--
Darin Boville
My photo site: www.darinboville.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/darinboville
A Bigger Camera (blog): www.abiggercamera.com

darinb's gear list:darinb's gear list
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow