Mallard in flight

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,343
Re: Dave,

dave92029 wrote:

zackiedawg wrote:

Nice series - definitely BIF takes some learning, and manipulating the settings until you fine tune what works for you.

The three basic focus modes: Wide; Zone; and Center - I can only get Center to show green, in focus; Wide (preferred) and zone do not lock on subjects.

Is my camera faulty, settings aren't correct, ???

Are you useing 'wide, zone, and center' regular AF modes, or are you using Tracking: wide, Tracking: Zone, and Tracking: Center?  You only get a 'lock' in any AF-C mode if you're using tracking...without tracking, there's never a lock, it just tries to keep up with the subject that's within the focus box.

For any moving subject or BIF, I use only the tracking AF modes on the A6600 - previously, with the A6300 I used AF-C with Wide focus area and no tracking, because the older 'lock on AF' couldn't keep up with anything.  The tracking AF on the newer series of cameras is quite sticky and stays with the subject very well for me.  I use Tracking AF-Wide probably the most, switching to Tracking: Center if it's a larger, slower moving subject that I can reliably place the focus area on.

As for preview in the finder - not sure on that one.  I don't use preview - I have it turned off and always have on all my cameras...when I click 'play' to view shots, I can do it equally in EVF or LCD.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow