Your favourite film simulation?

Started Nov 9, 2018 | Discussions thread
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,929
Re: Your favourite film simulation?

ms18 wrote:

My favourite film simulation is classic Chrome. Because it can be used for any type of photos irrespective for subject matter. I know provia is what meant for this all type purpose but I feel provia has more saturation that i'd like. Velvia is way too saturated and even for landscape, nature i won't use it. For that I use provia.

Classic Chrome was what drove to Fuji. I absolutely loved this film trying to replicate with a preset when I was with m43. The 2nd is Provia as it seems to set all colors correct. From the rest, none makes any particular impression to me. Strangely, I feel the black & white should be more dramatic in Fuji (like the Monochrome L from Panasonic)

Astia is my favourite for portraits. If all in the set are portraits I would use Astia over classic Chrome. If I have mixture of subjects then I'd go classics Chrome, if the photo is nature/landscape/food then I'll use provia.

Typically I tend to shoot different subjects. For example let's say I go for dinner with family. Then there will be portraits as well as food, also may be shots of restaurant. I want to have same theme. So despite I like Astia for portraits and provia for food I'll use classic Chrome for entire session to have same theme and mood.

Landscape typically l assign provia and edit in camera raw. Typically in control environments where I monitor light and shoot, Fuji sooc are far better than my edited raw ones.

But when I shoot landscape and Street I need the headroom of raw.

What's your favourite simulation and how you roll?

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
(unknown member)
EMV
jrk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow