V2 + 18.5mm Lens Reaquaintance

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,147
V2 + 18.5mm Lens Reaquaintance

I had to take a short trip over to Vancouver Island last weekend. I hadn't used the 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 lens with my V2 for a while. I decided to take some photos with that combo while on the ferry back to Vancouver. (History - I bought the V2 and 18.5 together, used, about three years ago from my favourite local camera store.) While taking these photos I was reminded that I am generally not a fan of 50mm full-frame equivalent lenses like the 18.5. I prefer lenses that are wider and longer. Still - I am glad I have it. The 18.5 is a sharp little lens, and does a very good job at resisting ghosting in backlit situations, and when the sun is in the photo.

A crew member near the bow of the ferry at the beginning of the sailing.

My daughter waves at me from the Upper Sun Deck. The other passengers ignore me.

The Canadian flag flying from the stern of the ship. Some of the Gulf Islands as well as Vancouver Island are in the background.

A view from the stern of the ship. Notice the absence of ghosting in the image.

The Spirit of British Columbia passing by. I was on the Spirit of Vancouver Island.

One of the newer vessels in the fleet - the Salish Raven - after it had entered Active Pass, a fairly narrow, twisty channel that the BC Ferries captains and crews manage to deftly navigate year after year.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow