Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Platographer Contributing Member • Posts: 730
Re: FP L Focus Bracketing Questions

Doppler9000 wrote:

D Cox wrote:

Doppler9000 wrote:

Johan Borg wrote:

Doppler9000 wrote:

is 15 the limit, or is this just an over-specified example, and higher odd numbers will work?

You select a number between 3 and 15 from a list, so it's the actual limit.

Thank you, Johan.

That is disappointing. Sigma always seems to be able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I own two Merrills and a Quattro, and the self inflicted pain is hard to take.

That seems a very negative attitude to some cameras that are not perfect but can take superb photos.

How many steps do you want, and what kind of subject do you have in mind ?

Don Cox

Your "not perfect" strawman rather underplays the obvious problems with this camera, don't you think? Sort of like referring to a horrible event as "suboptimal".

My attitude simply reflects frustration with Sigma's decision-making. Their cameras all seem to be a combination of greatness grafted with bad ideas, which makes buying and living with them difficult.

I would like at least 200 frame capability. An obvious spot where focus bracketing is helpful, and where a fifteen frame limit is worthless, is macro photography.

Why eliminate a camera from consideration by making a completely arbitrary decision to limit something like a frame count? This doesn't reflect any physical limits, someone just decided 3,5,7,9,1,13,15 was all you get.

Even if a particular feature might not be useful to you, can you not see that this sort of decision to hobble the camera is a negative? Are you really being objective about Sigma?

I agree completely. I hate when there are these arbitrary and unnecessary firmware limits that would cost practically nothing to fix and add immense value for many photographers. Frustratingly, virtually all reviews of any camera I have read never talk about these things. I don't have a Sigma camera and 15 frames would always be more than enough for focus bracketing for the type of photography I do, but that doesn't mean I will defend the indefensible. Panasonic limits exposure bracketing to a max of one stop between frames, which is extremely stupid and should have been easily fixed a long time ago, but reviewers never ding Panasonic for it. Another firmware improvement I advocate for on these forums is a hybrid timed/bulb mode where shutter speeds of up to at least five minutes are allowed and any exposure with shutter speeds longer than 3.2 seconds can be ended early by pressing the shutter (i.e., combine the capabilities of timed and bulb shutter).

In the Sony forum (my main camera is a Sony A7Riv), a frequent topic of discussion is the total lack of focus bracketing (at least on Alpha series cameras). You should see how many people defend it with arguments so absurd one wonders whether they are trolling. Some may call them Sony fanboys, but my position is that any true fan of a particular brand would not oppose common sense firmware tweaks that would greatly improve the camera without any downside to a single user.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow