It pays to have a stinger

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
It pays to have a stinger

There were a lot of crab spiders in the garden this afternoon - after the sun came out. Their average size has really increased noticeably in the past two weeks too.

I've been intermittently trying to photograph one "mid-leap" as it jumps to catch prey, so this seemed a good time to burn an hour or two on further attempts. I've seen it happen many times (eyes only) and they jump quite a long way sometimes which gives plenty of "air-time" (when it happens). That's why I think it's a feasible shot to chase - with good timing and 30fps! Yet to succeed, but ever the optimist.

I found this one hiding in a globe thistle and parked myself next to it for a while. The bees practically camp on these thistles from the moment the first florets show. I was sure I'd catch this spider making a grab here - the sheer volume of traffic going past the spider's hiding place made it look a dead cert. Hah! After 45 minutes of near misses like this...

...I realised the spider wasn't at all interested in the bees anyway; because two in a row walked ON it's face and it just hunkered down more! I didn't manage to capture a clear shot of that, but this was a fraction of a second before the second occurrence.

Obviously the crowds of busy bees were keeping smaller prey away, so I gave up on that spider. I had seen this one catch a hover fly on a nearby daisy. It was too far away to get a shot at that moment, but this was taken about 10 secs later.

Wimps and bullies, these crab spiders! Shy away from the armed insects but beat-up on the pacifists all day long Anyway, this one dragged the fly out of sight just before I had to pack up.

And I then had other stuff to attend to. Oh well. Maybe catch a jump next session...

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow