Please recommend lens for video for the Sony FE

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HenryBrw New Member • Posts: 2
Please recommend lens for video for the Sony FE

The lens must have following:

• smooth reliable zoom ring
  • Must have a normal focal length range (must have 50mm focal length)
  • must have steller autofocus performance on a high end Sony camera (A1, A7rIV, A7s3). I shoot subjects that move a lot and have sudden movements.

The following come to mind with concerns:

• 70-200mm f2.8GM - this is my main video lens, smooth reliable internal focussing zoom ring, perfect autofocus performance. But 70mm is not wide enough.
  • 24-105mm f4 - zoom ring too tight. The zoom ring on Tamron 28-75mm was so much nicer for video. If it werent for slight color shift on the tamron id still be using that lens for video.
  • 24-70mm f2.8GM - how is the zoom ring?
  • Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 - how is the zoom ring? How does autofocus compare with sony 24-70mm GM?
  • Sony 18-105mm f5 e pz - this is the apsc parfocal motorized zoom. found zoom rocker pretty janky and sharpness was also not great to my liking. completely unusable for my purposes.
  • FE PZ 28-135mm OSS - i owned this lens a few years ago and when used with Sony A9 and Sony a7riii the autofocus was just trash and sharpness in video footage not great either. I had picked up a used lens and never tried a brand new copy. Does this lens get a second life with newer cameras? I shoot solo dance and use autofocus only(no plans to pull focus manually).
  • FE PZ 18-110mm OSS - does anyone use this lens with Sony FF Cameras? How does it perform with a Sony A1(50mpx) or a Sony A7Riv(63mpx)? Is the autofocus any faster than 26-135mm?
 HenryBrw's gear list:HenryBrw's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a6600 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +2 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow