Wildlife from the wetlands

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 5,118
Wildlife from the wetlands

I went to my two favorite wetlands yesterday, Green Cay and Wakodahatchee. I only spent about 30 minutes at each location from 3-4pm. It was 92 degrees, very little breeze, humid and very hot, so I didn't stay too long. I just felt like going out to see what was out there on such a hot day. I'm not going out there from now when the conditions are like that for four reasons.

1. It is not much fun when you are sweating profusely the entire time. Also, the possiblily of heat stroke can happen in those temps and conditions.
  2. There is not much to see because most of the wildlife is hiding in the shade trying to stay cool.
  3. During the summer, there are only the same old birds and critters. Noting out of the ordinary, and less to see of them.
  4. When there is direct sunlight and zero cloud the entire time, the lighting conditions are very hard to shoot in.

My first five shots will show you a few birds that are panting and trying to stay cool. They do this most of the day. I also tried to inlclude as much variety as possible.

Anhinga constantly panting

Cormorant. I know you have seen it before, but it just goes to show another hot bird.

This chick looked like it was saying to its parents they should have put its nest in the shade.

Blue heron. You can see its tongue going back and forth.

Tri-color heron, panting.

OK, that should give you a sense of how hot it was out there yesterday.

This wood stork was pacing back and forth, looking like it was trying to get cool. It looks as if it was sweating!

A couple of glossy ibis's. Those feathers can really show their color if you get the sun at the right angle.

This is one of the final great herons on a nest feeding its big chick. Most of the nests are empty now.

A white ibis on a rail.

Another blue heron stalking some small fish, frogs, snakes, etc...

A night heron taking a nap.

An egret on a hand rail.

I saw this little bird running around in the shade spashing around in the sand. Not sure what it is.

A green iguana in some nice light.

Just to add some color, I figured I'd include one of the many flowers out there.

Well, that's if for now and probably for some time to come, until I can get out there when the temps and conditions get better and it cools down a bit.

As usual, any comment and questions are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow