Samyang 35mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm 35mm f1.4 review - The Underdog vs the Classic

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
savethejourney
savethejourney Forum Member • Posts: 84
Samyang 35mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm 35mm f1.4 review - The Underdog vs the Classic

I haven't seen anyone compare these lenses before, so I decided to do a write up on them. I was surprised how differently these lenses rendered subjects. Surprisingly the FOV, colours and quality are very different between these two lenses.
Between these two lenses I first got the Samyang 35mm f1.2. It was on sale on the used market for a ridiculous price, I can't remember exactly how much it was, but it was cheap. At the time I wasn't really into the 35mm focal length, though that has changed a little now with the pandemic and not being able to get as close to people as before. Usually I would photograph with my Samyang 21mm f1.4 predominantly.

I really started to enjoy the focal length and the amazing quality of the Samyang 35mm f1.2. But after a while I did think it might be better to get an autofocus lens. Mainly due to the fact that while I am one of those oddities that prefers manual focus lenses, due to their simplicity and the lack of having to adjust any settings on the camera while using them. No adjusting focus points or the size of focus points, don't have to switch the Eye AF on and off, no whipping the camera around from the focus point to the correct framing, no AF bleeps (which can be annoying in intimate venues), etc. But I did enjoy how easy it was to take photos with AF. I can use unusual angles more easily and get quick snaps that wouldn't have been as easy to do beforehand with the Samyang.

Also shoutout to all the wedding photographers who manage to photograph a whole day, from early mornings to late at night without an issue! For these kind of events, it does make life easier to have that automatic help.

The first thing I noticed between these two lenses is that the Samyang has a closer FOV to the Zeiss 32mm. Which leads me to believe that the Samyang is either wider than the claimed 35mm focal length or the Fujifilm is closer to a 38mm. The difference isn't massive but it is noticeable. I wonder which one of the two is cheating in their 35mm claims!

As mentioned above, the colours, bokeh and image quality are quite different. To see some more photos and info on them, check it out here.

Based on the photos, which one would you rather have?

Also my review on just the Samyang 35mm f1.2 is here.

-- hide signature --

Check out my blog at www.savethejourney.com/blog

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow