GFX100 vs GFX100s - my initial thoughts

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
amateurphotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 883
GFX100 vs GFX100s - my initial thoughts

First impressions.

Been using the GFX100 since it came out in 2019. Body and lens quality are amazing.

I was lucky to purchase the last GF45-100 lens in the fujifilm shop and it was sold out everywhere else in my country. Whilst in the Fujifilm shop I held the 100s, and straight away noticed the weight and size difference from the GFX100. Went WOW!~

A few days later I decided to buy the GFX100s , with the thinking of selling my older GFX100. I'm not young, so every bit of weight saving and space in the camera bag helps when on assignment.

Whilst setting up the 100s, there are a few items quite different from the GFX100.

1) of course size and weight savings . It's like a D850 in size.

2) the menu is almost identical to the GFX100.

3) There is a switch for still / video, which then changes the contents of the menu. This is great as it saves ploughing through countless video related pages in the menu when you want only the still, e.g. like on the Sony A series camera. GFX100 doesn't have this.

4) The top left dial has custom settings C1 to C6. This is great to be able to switch to flash settings and non-flash settings almost instantaneously. I guess also switching on and off the Image Stabiliser. GFX100 doesn't have this.

5) Drive mode button is just one touch. Easier to use.

6) Regarding improvements to the 100s - wish the rear screen could flip out 90 degs in both directions, because sometime I shoot with the camera right against the wall and can't get my head behind the camera. So in this situation I used the rotatable EVF. I would have to use trial and error now in this situation for the framing or tether.

7) A four way touch pad around the joystick would be a nice addition. But not a biggie. The joystick is pretty responsive. Seems to be plenty of space to the right side of the buttons.

8) EVF is less MP than the GFX100, not a biggie and not really noticeable to me.

9) I tried the accessory base plate, was well built but not practical as you need to take the whole plate off to change the battery as it covers the battery compartment.

10) The supplied charging unit is compact.  Great for on the move.

11) Bought the Fujifilm double battery charger, but wasn't 100% sure whether I could use the GFX100s PD charger to power up the double battery charging unit.

Although I haven't done my first job yet with this camera, am not concerned with the image quality as its bound to be super.

My ten cents

amateurphotographer's gear list:amateurphotographer's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Fujifilm GFX 50S Nikon D4S Nikon D850 Sony a7R III +66 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow