Marco full Frame or MFT Sigma 105mm or Olympus 60mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Strangefinder
Strangefinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,131
ART70mm Re: Marco full Frame or MFT Sigma 105mm or Olympus 60mm

saab900 wrote:

I currently have a Panasonic system comprising of a Panasonic G9 and a Panasonic S1, I'm looking for a modern decent lens for scanning my film negatives.

I'm thinking of purchasing one or the other a Olympus 60mm macro for MFT which will only be used for macro but half the price.

Or sigma 105mm 2.8 which I can use for macro and portraits but costs double.

My real question is does the 60mm Olympus stack up against the sigma 105mm in resolution.

There is a third option which falls between the two in price, and approaches the 105mm in IQ:

The Sigma ART70mmF2.8 It is almost as new as the 105mm, and available directly in L-mount or in EF-mount* with the MC-21 providing AF/EXIF. Obviously a shorter working distance, and an SLR design (albeit very recent + advanced), but cheaper, lighter (605g vs 715g in L) and its handling compromises are less relevant for your use case.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/a018_70_28/

On the other hand, the 105mm apparently surpasses the much-praised Sony GM135 in acuity, so perhaps it’s worth the extra.

Or perhaps the 60mm is perfectly sufficient, and light enough to spur more general utility.

*The EF version could potentially be used on the G9, too, if you are willing to buy an expensive electronic adaptor from Metabones etc - though, it has some eccentricities so check compatibility first.

-- hide signature --

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
"If lies can begin wars then the truth can end them." Jx/xxn Xssxngx
“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.” Gandhi

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow