Pandemic photography

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ahinesdesign Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Pandemic photography

brucet wrote:

Simple question - Has the pandemic and lockdowns/restrictions helped or hindered your photography?

Changed my photography to a certain extent, but I shot more than ever (and had more images published than ever) so I suppose it helped.

We never had any kind of lockdown here, only "encouragement" to stay home and minimal restrictions on "non-essential" businesses for a few months, otherwise free to go anywhere one wanted. Most public events were canceled, much to the public's disappointment/anger, but everything else was essentially fair game.

I work for a municipal government, and my day-to-day photography work increased considerably as we made a big push to communicate to citizens. I documented many public infrastructure projects, construction projects, and public safety operations that never slowed down. Sports, events, public meetings, and most anything else newsworthy that required people to gather were canceled for 2020 and 2021, however everything is back in full swing now.

I got to photograph many things I would not get the chance to shoot under normal circumstances, including protests, civil unrest, Confederate statue removal, COVID testing, COVID vaccinations, and much more.

On the freelance side, architecture jobs never slowed down (since most construction never stopped). I also had time to photograph a long-term documentary project on local agriculture that I had been trying to pursue for years.

Photography during the pandemic has not been without risk; in June (2020) I suffered a severe concussion at a protest, then in 2021 battled COVID and complications for two months...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow