Advice on custom built please

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EOS500NF31fdXA1 Forum Member • Posts: 55
Advice on custom built please

Hi all

I'm having a desktop built and I'm woefully out of touch with components.

The most intensive things I will be using it for are Lightroom, Photoshop and Capture One Pro.

Its worth mentioning that I don't replace a system unless the previous one is dying so Im looking to create a well balanced system that makes it easy and cheap to upgrade components when the times comes ( I can see myself playing with 4k before too long) etc.

A local pc shop person suggested below set up, I would like to run it past someone without a vested interest so appreciate your honest advice on this.

650W BeQuiet Fully Modular Gold Rated 80+ PSU

Asus Prime H570-Plus Motherboard with 4 slots for ram.

Intel Core i7-11700F CPU 11th gen

Intel CPU Fan

Corsair Vengeance 32GB Ram stick DDR4 3000mhz

SSD Reducer Bracket

Graphics cards to add on as listed below:

Palit Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Dual 6GB

Asrock AMD Radeon RX6700XT 12GB Challenger

Is this a balanced system ? Any bottlenecks ?

Do any of the components stick out like a sore thumb ie if you were building this for yourself you wouldn't pick them ?

Do these components give me enough cheap-ish upgrade potential for the next 5-10 years ? ie will I be able to upgrade whatever the bottleneck might be in 5 years time without having to upgrade several other components as well ?

Which graphics card makes most sense ? I realise 2060 would be ok for now but I'm not sure what one would need to want to do photography wise to need the other one ? Ie when would I notice a difference ? The price difference is £350 so its not peanuts equally not sure if it would make sense to do it to 'future proof' hence the question what type of photo/video editing would benefit from it.

I also came across Corsair Liquid cooling fans, if they are a good idea which of them would make sense ? if no, what cooling system would be recommended for above ?

Other considerations:

I need the system to be quiet ( hence the quiet psu).

I've read that PS/LR likes to have an internal hd for scratch disks, which one would you recommend ?

Ive read about KVM switches, basically my private desktop will sit next to my work pc and i would like to use the same peripherals without having to unplug several times a day. I cant install any software on my work pc so I need a plug and play KVM, which would you recommend ?

Alternatively I've got one of these knocking about what would I need to use it with the custom built ? Microsoft Universal Foldable Bluetooth Keyboard for Apple iPad, iPhone, Android devices and Windows Tablets

In case you are wondering about missing components I'm re-using existing pc case, DVD drive, 1TB ssd from current dying laptop hence the reducer. Well, the plan is to continue using that as master drive but I'm told the rate of success is 50% so we will see. If it fails which ssd would you recommend as master ?

Thanks a lot for reading and any input you may have.

Kay

EOS500NF31fdXA1's gear list:EOS500NF31fdXA1's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow