Best economic choice for wide angle on an RP?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
Re: Best economic choice for wide angle on an RP?

Fjzk wrote:

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Fjzk wrote:

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Fjzk wrote:

Are there any 3rd party zoom options that work well with the adapter? Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc.

I am also in the hunt for a decent FF wide angle zoom in the $600-900 price range. For now, for landscape shoots, I am taking my M50 with the 11-22 plus the RP with a RF24-105 and EF 70-300II, which is working well but then you have 2 bodies, 2 different sensors, download photos from. 2 cards, etc.

Hope Canon releases the RF18-45 soon…little more range in the long end than my apsc 11-22.

Within your specified price range, the EF 16-35 f4.0L IS is the one to get. I like my 17-40 f4.0L a lot, but mine is definitely a minority opinion. It is a lot cheaper though, $450-ish, used.

Here is one (of many) I have taken at 17mm with it.

Looks really good to me, I am a hobbyist who doesn’t pixel peep too much, so this lens would be good enough to me although the edge performance for the price from the 11-22 got me a little spoiled. I am hoping the 18-45 will match that somehow.

Twisted tree, probably from a tornado

I find my 17-40 f4.0L fully satisfies my needs in UWA photography. Just my opinion.

I like what I see in this photo and in many others in flickr from this lens. If the (probably smaller and lighter)18-45 takes long to come out either this 17-40 or the tamron 17-35 might be for me. Thanks for the input!

The 17-40mm f4.0L is by far the lightest L lens I have ever owned, plus it is well balanced on my RP.  Doesn't feel clumsy or front-heavy at all.  I might trade it in a year or two for the RF 16-35 f4.0L, but maybe not.  I like it!

SteveinLouisville's gear list:SteveinLouisville's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow