Not a Mirrorless in sight….

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,597
Re: Size / weight / noise

Bill Ferris wrote:

Nikon's Z9 needs to be a homerun MILC body; no doubt about it. The Z6II and Z7II are excellent mirrorless cameras...but don't quite demonstrate the flagship level of autofocus performance needed to attract Nikon's most demanding customers to the MILC platform. But they've delivered before and certainly know what their customers expect.

Dave Black, Vincent Versace, and a number of other Nikon pros have gone completely to the Z7II and the Z6II.  Both Versace and Black indicated to me a strong preference for the file produced by the Nikon cameras over anything else on the market.  The quality of the image file has better color and better dynamic range.  Black is a sports and portrait photographer, and he indicated he has no problem getting the shots he needs with the Z7II.

There are certainly others that still like the performance of the D850 or D6 for specific needs.  Marsel van Oosten is using a split system with the D850 for fast moving wildlife.   The Z9 is expected to be a flagship body - above and beyond the D6 with excellent AF and high frame rate.

I'd expect a significant upgrade for the Z6II and Z7II with the September firmware release.

I'm sitting pretty with the best APS-C wildlife and sports body in production in my camera bag and am prepared to wait until the Z9 is released and fully reviewed before making a long-term decision about a future upgrade for what I shoot. To be fair, I'm not a Z9 customer. My preference would be to wait for a flagship APS-C body. If that doesn't happen...well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow