Not a Mirrorless in sight….

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 7,066
Re: Size / weight / noise

The ergonomics of the Sony ecosystem still leaves quite a bit to be desired. The menus, in particular, are laborious to navigate. So, while Sony has developed some really good tech - especially in the area of autofocus - they've left plenty of room for Canon and Nikon shooters to stay with their DSLR systems while waiting for both companies to develop flagship MILCs.

Canon seems to be closer to that objective. The autofocus in their R5 and R6 MILCs looks really impressive. I suspect that is, in part, why Canon is so much more open about the R3 being beta tested in Tokyo. Their customers can't wait for the R3 to be released. They have confidence it'll do the job.

Nikon's Z9 needs to be a homerun MILC body; no doubt about it. The Z6II and Z7II are excellent mirrorless cameras...but don't quite demonstrate the flagship level of autofocus performance needed to attract Nikon's most demanding customers to the MILC platform. But they've delivered before and certainly know what their customers expect.

I'm sitting pretty with the best APS-C wildlife and sports body in production in my camera bag and am prepared to wait until the Z9 is released and fully reviewed before making a long-term decision about a future upgrade for what I shoot. To be fair, I'm not a Z9 customer. My preference would be to wait for a flagship APS-C body. If that doesn't happen...well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow