Made a huge switch yesterday

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cryhavoc38 Regular Member • Posts: 169
Made a huge switch yesterday

So I've been using the A7 RIV for over a year now and primarily used it for general photography. Vacations, family, pets, outdoors, etc, etc.

Was always blown away with its fine resolution and the ability to punch in tight in crop but I've never been happy with its, to me, low light iso noise level. I know, I know..pixel size matters for low light..but hey, I was enamored with all the 61mp goodness.

I had recently purchased the Sony 200-600 G telephoto and took it out on a couple occasions for some morning birding. Hand held, its a beast of a lens, and the ability to get 26mp out of the crop mode was pretty darn appealing when I wanted 900mm without a tc.

All that said, the low light noise level was just too distracting and I don't prefer to denoise in post too much.

So, having done a serious amount of research, thinking, agonizing, thinking more, etc, I packed up all my Sony hardware and headed over to my fav local camera store, Kenmore Camera.

I had a pretty good idea of what I "needed" in trade value based on ebay prices, etc and to my surprise, they were within $50 bucks of what I needed to get out of it.

If we were too far apart, I would have kept the Sony gear and soldiered on with it all, but fortunately, I was happy and accepted their trade in offer.

So, with all that said, the TLDR version is that I am now a very happy owner of a Z7II, along with a Sigma 70-200 sport and the Nikon 200-500 5.6, both lenses were on their used shelf at fantastic prices and in near pristine condition.

Took some lower light shots in the backyard yesterday evening using the Sigma 70-200 at f 2.8 and let me tell you...the noise is soo much lower at higher iso values than what I have been accustomed to seeing using the A7 R IV.

Time to dig deep into this new ecosystem and camera feature set..my first Nikon kit!

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow