Using f32 on a crop sensor camera for max dof

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
c h u n k
c h u n k Senior Member • Posts: 1,693
Re: Using f32 on a crop sensor camera for max dof

Andrewcn wrote:

I’m quite new to macro photography

but one of the issues I struggle with is maximising dof.

What would the results be like if I tried using a macro lens at f32 on an apsc camera? For example using a tamron 90 macro lens on a Nikon d7500. Mike Moats often does this and gets excellent results, although he does use a sharpening tool in post.

Thoughts?

I agree with the post that you have to try to see where *your* limits are. Much of it also comes to screen resolution/viewing size. If you are just posting on IG or Facebook, etc, it's not such a huge deal. The bottom line is even amongst those of us who are more seasoned shooting macro (at 1x mag+), we tend to disagree on this subject. I personally don't like to push it past about f/10 (f/20 effective) on my 80d with 100 2.8L. F/8 with tubes added. But I also pick apart my images on a new imac screen.

In summary, there *is* a difference. Identify that difference and make your own decision.

Just be careful you don't mistake other side effects for diffraction. i.e smaller aperture = less light = slower shutter speed or higher flash power/longer burst which can cause tiny amounts of motion blur making the image look softer and can easily be confused for diffraction softening.

-- hide signature --

Some of my photos here: https://flic.kr/ps/2i6XL3
“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” --Dr. Seuss

c h u n k's gear list:c h u n k's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow