What storage for and how to work with 4TB photo collection?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Re: The cheap option

The secondary drive doesn't interfere with system performance, it's simply an add-on. You can use your existing OS boot setup.

Seagate uses traditional technology in their 4 tb ironwolf drives(the one i'm using) but i have no ideea how they work or why the older writing technology is better.

No experience with Linux, sorry.

There is no magical solution here, from a cost/reliability/ease of use perspective, a hdd is still the best option for data storage.

Unless maybe you can afford a 6 tb samsung evo pro, but again, i have no experience with data retention on ssds.

Sometimes the best solution is also the most common one.

PS A fast hdd, like a WD black, has a transfer rate of around 150mb/s. Considering the price per tb on mechanical drives, it's perfectly adequate from my perspective.

Even my 5900rpm ironwolf can do short bursts at around 200mb/s until the buffer is full(ssd to hdd), so it depends on how you organise your work and the available cache, the 7200rpm/256 mb models should be faster than my 64mb one.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow