Canon 24-70 F/2.8 vs Canon 24-105 f/4 IS

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,083
Re: Canon 24-70 F/2.8 vs Canon 24-105 f/4 IS

PhasmatosOculus wrote:

Hi guys,

I am after some honest feedback in relation to these two particular lenses to be used with my 1DX Mk II.

Canon 24-70 F/2.8 mk I

and

Canon 24-105 f/4 IS mk I

Firstly the Canon 24-70 F/2.8 mkII is way out of budget and I do not want to look at 3rd party brands as I have had bad experience with their lenses.

At the moment I am struggling to decide between the two lenses. The Canon 24-70 f/2.8 I can get in a good condition from £650ish onwards where as the 24-105 f/4 I can get in near mint condition for almost half that cost, around £300

This lens is for general walkabout, family photos, whether that be static portraits or chasing my little one around in a playground, on the slides etc.

I already have the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 which is amazing, but I would like some versatility.

How does image sharpness compare between these two lenses?

Does the one stop extra with no IS trump one stop less with IS?

Personal views and experiences?

Many thanks

i understand your question is specifically these 2 lenses so i'll try my best i purchased my 1st "L" lens in 2006, which was 24-105 f4.0, and loved it to this day. i still use my 24105 once in a while and enjoy using it. i have never had any issue with my canon gear right out of the box and never been disappointed, either, period.

canon 24-105 has a very usable FL range that is great for walk around the city, and just about everything else without changing lenses. 24105 has decent IQ, not one great, such as 24-70 f2.8 II, but not a slouch, either. i have had a lot of fun and have taken some of my most memorable photos with this lens.

i don't have the canon 24-70 f2.8 mk1 but rather mk2. if i remember correctly, mk1 had some issues, hence canon came out with mk2. so i can't comment much about mk1. however, mk2 is one of the best lenses i have owned and i have been using the heck out of it. if you shoot event, weddings in particular, you must have a mk2 in your bag. mk2 is so good that i have retired several primes in that range, must be because i dislike changing lenses in the middle of an event.

personally i stay away from 3rd party lenses as far as i can, i guess that is why i call them jellybean lenses

so that is all i can say, experiencing with those 2 lenses, although my 24-70 is mk2

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow