Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
carl_g
carl_g Regular Member • Posts: 368
Re: Not a Mirrorless in sight….

Droster wrote:

yray wrote:

straitouttahell wrote:

yray wrote:

I’m thinking Nikon will do themselves a favor if they keep DSLR line going, even if slimmed down to just a couple of models, for a while longer. They still have a dedicated following heavily invested in this mount, which probably will still be alive and kicking, and refreshing bodies and lenses for another decade or two.

In ML they are just also-runs with no obvious advantage over the competition.

I’m actually curious what would have happened if Nikon were releasing their ML in both F and Z mounts. Same exact models. Would be a nice test of the new mount viability, but then, obviously, they wouldn’t be able to push new expensive lenses on the early adopters.

That's a kind of comment I stumble upon every so often.

According to which, Nikon's future should depend on those users who just want to buy another one or two bodies in the rest of their lives and hang on to those half-century old lenses

Those are Nikon’s best users. The remainder falls into two categories: those who buy a cheap kit and never bother to buy another lens, and those who’re always looking for the latest and greatest because photography for them is all about technology. That latter group is the most vocal around here but might be somewhat underrepresented in the real world.

I'm not sure that is going to keep Nikon alive for a long time.

If they stayed with the F-mount they could have their cake and eat it too. Don’t tell me you can’t make a good lens in F mount. Nikon has done it, and Sigma has been really pushing the envelope. But of course it is much more attractive to start selling the same lenses all over again at jacked up prices in the whole new mount. If this is how you want to spend your income, that’s your prerogative, but I will pass.

Nikon is making the best lenses they ever released, thanks to Z-Mount. With FTZ, you can use everything from AF-S on. Even old AI lenses enjoy a second youth, thanks to live view and focus peaking.

The way AI lenses enjoy a second youth they may enjoy it with any other ML brand with the dumbest of adapters. The only difference will be they won’t record your aperture in EXIF.

The only ones who were left behind are the AF-D owners. Ouch.

Ouch? Their 85, 105, 135, 180 AF-D are anything but. And I can probably think of a few more.

I wouldn't say Nikon didn't to well with their Z cameras. Those who are invested in F mount have a good chance to keep using what they have using the adapter.

But why? Why would I want to buy a new body and an adapter if the older body is already so good, needs no adapter, and has a superior viewfinder, battery life, ergonomics and controls, etc.

As per AF-D lenses owners, that's probably about time they upgrade. Newer lenses are better.

The question is: are they better enough to make a noticeable enough difference in practice to justify the exorbitant expense. In other words, would anyone notice? I’m pretty sure I know the answer.

The irony of this is the one technology in ML that would actually be useful for those old lenses, IBIS, is being put into cameras which don’t support those lenses.

And Nikon isn't probably going to stay alive just by selling one or two more bodies to those customers in the next 20 years.

You can say they reached a plateau with DSLRs, but this will happen to ML too, only much faster. Once everyone agrees that AF is passable and battery life is passable, what next? Try to sell a few more pixels by getting people excited? At best ML is a temporary shot in the arm which won’t solve the fundamental problem: for most people cameras and lenses are already good enough.

At the least mirrorless has a higher performance ceiling than DSLRs and will continue to faster.

Stagnating and being good enough is one thing, but there are always people chasing and attaining higher heights and always trying new technology to achieve those new heights. And these people who are not afraid of trying are the paying customers, and it’s only natural companies listen to those who speak with their wallets. The F-mount is done because it’s a mature system and existing users are happy with their gear, and aren’t as willing to spend money on it as the users of today and tomorrow are willing to spend on mirrorless. There’s only this far they can carry the F-mount and they even carried it further than Canon did with the EF. But it’s time for it to rest.

Mirrorless tech will too indeed meet diminishing returns, but at least there’s a constant stream of fresh blood coming in. Spending any resources on the F-mount today is just wasting resources they should be spending to compete against Canon and Sony in the tech arms race on all fronts, from entry level to the very high end.

The good thing is there’s a real high end camera out there and will be in our grubby hands in a few months. And that Nikon will finally join Canon and Sony in the tech arms race proper.

I used to say in 2018 when the RF and Z first launched, the users of the future who start with low-mid end mirrorless will end up using higher end mirrorless. They’re not going to move back into DSLRs. Three years on, that future is now, and slightly earlier for Canon and Sony.

Back to the original topic: The fact that Sony’s there, the R5 and the Z9 are there and the OP chose to go “not a mirrorless in sight” shows how blind some are to the reality of the situation.

Amen brother!

carl_g's gear list:carl_g's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow