Shooting around with an RP and RF 24-105 f4.0L

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Senior Member • Posts: 1,062
Shooting around with an RP and RF 24-105 f4.0L

I just got this lens a couple of weeks ago and have been shooting around with it. I traded my EF 24-105 f4.0L ii and RF 24-105 STM and cash for it. I traded it because my EF version was sitting on a shelf. I had (and have) no complaints about the STM version, but it would be duplicative in the RF mount.

First, oh yeah, it is better than the STM version, most definitely. I can see the difference, and that is really all that matters. I suppose the UD element and the Air Sphere coating are the main reason it is better than the STM. I never had any complaints with the EF L version optically, but it is front heavy, and clumsy on my RP.

The RF version of the L lens balances really well on the RP, and though "heavy" in a relative sense (compared to the STM), it isn't bulky or front heavy. Handles very nicely.

I still have my RF 24-240 and I am keeping it. Optically, the best non-professional zoom I have ever used, super fast AF, spooky good IS, it's a keeper.

When shooting in situations where 105-240 range is unlikely (like indoors, with flash, or around the park, in the backyard with the dogs, etc.) the 24-105 zoom range and high optical performance make the RF 24-105 f4.0L my everyday, default lens.

Remember, these comments are coming from a retired guy who loves to take pictures of, well, everything, not a professional. Here are some of the results I get with it.

At the park, my daughter was cosplaying with her friends. The park pavilion had been tagged with graffiti (again) and I shot one of her standing next to some of it. 24mm, then snap the zoom into 94mm, and done. I took another photo of my son, and really was pleased with all the results.

Then, the other day in our backyard. Dogs were running around and I snapped a few casual doggie portraits. Again, I am pleased with the results.

If you have the resources and the need, this is an excellent lens to have if you want to cover this zoom range (relatively) inexpensively. Money a constraint? The STM version is my recommendation. I never had any complaints about its performance, and still don't.

At Cherokee Park, 2Cherokee4mm

Cherokee Park, 94mm

94mm

Cosplayers, with EL-100 flash

Available light, f4.0

Available light, f4.0. Dropped the exposure because he is a black dog.

Graffiti artist must be an Abstract Expressionist. Actually, pretty good, I think. I don't know which came first, the sign or the graffiti.

SteveinLouisville's gear list:SteveinLouisville's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow