help me decide on Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,381
Re: help me decide on Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70

Jon_T wrote:

Possibly better than the SX60 at base ISO. Still the same small 1/2.3" sensor size that higher pixel density requires pixels with smaller surface area.

I give Kudos to Nikon staying with 16 MP sensor with their current Coolpix super-zoom bridge-type cameras.

Just keep in mind that all the small super-zoom bridge-type cameras with 1/2.3" sensor have small max apertures at the tele-focal lengths are going to NEED good daylight to use lower ISO's and be able to use fast enough shutter speeds.

Panasonic went down from 14MP for the FZ100 to 12MP on the FZ150.  And they kept it at 12MP for their high-end constant-F2.8 1/2.3" series through FZ200 and the current FZ300.  At the same time the FZ200 came out, the low-end 1/2.3" sensor superzoom series had the 14MP FZ60, followed by 16MP FZ70 and 18MP FZ80.

As a consequence, the FZ300 keeps up quite better at moderate outside light conditions even if it has half the zoom range of FZ70 and FZ80 and less cropping capability on paper (in practice, cropping to the level where single pixels become apparent is quite less advisable on the latter cameras than on the former).

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow